The Collective is an active, ongoing community where visionary entrepreneurs and leaders collaborate and offer each other strategic support and advice. The Collective members have access to a wide range of offerings, including professional development, funding, leadership opportunities, community events, and more. This suite of year-round opportunities is geared toward creating ongoing learning and connections that provide collaborative support.
Members of The Collective are extraordinary women who lead organizations using their Jewish values and a gender lens to tackle some of the most intractable problems facing women and girls.
- addresses a social problem that primarily affects women and/or girls (but can secondarily affect other community members);
- is registered as a nonprofit organization in its home country or has a fiscal sponsor;
- does not direct lobbying expenses to influence elections, or offer programs that discriminate in any way;
- provides an innovative approach to solving an intractable or pressing universal problem;
- provides a catalyst for growth – for the organization or a specific program; and
- embraces the importance of knowledge transfer within the social sector including from one member of The Collective to another.
Benefits to members of The Collective:
- three years of capacity building/general operating funding;
- an invitation as our guest (in your first year as a member) to The Convening – JWFNY’s annual gathering of The Network;
- intermittent networking and skills-building activities via webinar;
- on-line network of Jewish women social entrepreneurs;
- opportunity to meet with JWFNY members when visitng New York; visits from JWFNY members when they are in your city (pending availability);
- up to $5,000 to use for professional development over the course of the first year; and
- membership in The Collective for as long you choose.
How Do I Become a Member of The Collective?
There is no application process. JWFNY curates an ever-growing list of prospective members of The Collective. Each year, a small group of entrepreneurs or leaders will be added to The Collective. If you believe you fit the requirements listed above, please share your work with us by filling out our online form. Please use the form to tell us more about yourself and your leadership. We look forward to learning more about your work. Please note that you will be contacted only if you are being considered for The Collective in a given year.
What If I’m Not Chosen?
If you qualify, your name and organization will be kept in the pool for consideration. While you won’t be a member of The Collective until you are chosen by JWFNY, you are welcome to attend The Convening and participate in the activities of The Network.
What are JWFNY’s funding priorities?
JWFNY grantmaking addresses the needs of women and girls in the United States, Israel and around the world through a Jewish and gender lens and works to advance the efforts and profiles of Jewish women social entrepreneurs and leaders. JWFNY funds organizations that are run or founded by a Jewish woman who is using her Jewish values to make change for women and girls throughout the world.
What is a Social Entrepreneur?
Social entrepreneurs drive social innovation and transformation in a wide range of fields. They pursue their goals with entrepreneurial zeal and courageous innovation. A social entrepreneur builds strong and sustainable organizations which are set up as not-for-profit organizations (501c(3) or equivalent). A social entrepreneur is a leader or pragmatic visionary who:
- Achieves systemic and sustainable social change through a different approach, a more rigorous application of known technologies or strategies, or a combination of these.
- Focuses first and foremost on the social value creation.
- Innovates by finding a new approach to a social problem.
- Continuously refines and adapts approach in response to feedback.
What is Social Entrepreneurship?
Social entrepreneurship is about applying practical, innovative, and sustainable approaches to benefit society. It is a term that captures a unique approach to social problems — one that cuts across sectors and disciplines. It is this approach that sets the social entrepreneur apart from the rest of the crowd of well-meaning people and organizations who dedicate their lives to social improvement.
Who chooses the members of The Collective?
JWFNY is a communal grantmaking organization. That is, donors who give at a certain level are eligible to participate in researching, vetting, interviewing, and choosing The Collective members each year. If you are interested in participating in this exciting, hands-on way, please contact us at [email protected]
Do members of The Collective ever get to meet each other?
JWFNY will hold one large convening each year where collective members and the JWFNY community will gather to meet each other and learn together. The Convening will promote advocacy for social entrepreneurship by providing women leaders, inside our network and beyond, educational, networking, technical, and financial assistance. In addition, as resources permit, we will provide virtual opportunities for collective members to meet together and with us to deepen our knowledge and strengthen our relationships.
How else can I receive funding from JWFNY?
At this time, only members of The Collective receive funding from JWFNY. This is our only funding vehicle. While many individuals and organizations do extraordinary work, our focus is on women who use their Jewish values and a gender lens to lead their social change-making organizations.
Tell Us About Your Work
If you and your organization meet all of our eligibility requirements, please tell us about yourself and your work using our online form.