Open Position: Director of Strategic Initiatives
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Posted: October 13, 2021
TO APPLY: Submit a meaningful cover letter and resume to [email protected] with your name and “Director of Strategic Initiatives” in the subject line.
Location: Candidates must live within commuting distance to NYC
The Opportunity: JWFNY is looking for a senior team member who will bring strong leadership and organizational skills to a new position focused on increasing engagement with the philanthropic community, stewarding our donor program, and implementing strategies aligned with the developing vision of the Foundation.
Who We Are: JWFNY is dedicated to gender justice and social innovation. We advance the work and profiles of leaders who identify as women, have entrepreneurial spirits, and use Jewish values and gender lenses to advance social change around the world. We are committed to ensuring that JWFNY represents the entire mosaic of lived experiences that is the Jewish community. We are committed to diversifying our employees and welcome applications from those groups that have historically been underrepresented in the Jewish communal world—people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ people, and others.
Organizational Culture: JWFNY is a fast-paced organization with a collegial organizational culture. We are an all-hands-on-deck organization; everyone has their own accountabilities and works together toward success. Working in the same office is important to a culture of support for professionals and lay leaders.
Who You Are: You are passionate about philanthropy and have a desire to increase the number of Jewish women philanthropists giving Jewishly and ensure all have a meaningful experience in their genderosity. You are good-natured, highly organized, detail-oriented, collaborative, and innovative. You thrive in a fluid, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. You inspire confidence with a temperament that is conducive to volunteer engagement. You thrive on research, data, relationship, and thought partnership. You are flexible and willing to work with the other team members to ensure their goals are also achieved. You effectively manage up and down and have a great desire for follow-through.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Strategic Initiatives’ responsibilities will include:
- Develop high-quality, impactful engagement of current and new stakeholders that fosters long-term commitment
- Identify, develop, and execute key projects and strategic initiatives that will have a forward-moving effect on the organization’s growth objectives
- Manage current initiatives including promoting JWFNY’s DEJ initiative and Visionary Circles
- Work with CEO to build Emerging Leaders Program – building curriculum, recruiting cohorts, overseeing programmatic logistics
- Ensure strong donor relations and establish a new legacy program
- Facilitate board orientation and training as well as philanthropic education
- Create and manage the implementation of an “alumni” network
- Be a thought partner to other professionals on the team and help ensure their goals are also achieved
- Be the point-person for advocacy efforts
- Staff committees and tasks forces as needed
QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS: A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in the Jewish non-profit sector (or equivalent) and:
- Soft skills like flexibility and integrity are invaluable
- Exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong desire/ability to build relationships with staff, board, and community members
- Confidence to execute and complete numerous projects simultaneously and independently
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
- Exemplary communication skills, and comfort delivering progress reports and presentations
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to confidentiality and discretion
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs and databases
- Knowledge of the American Jewish community and/or the not-for-profit sector, gender issues, and social change grantmaking preferred
- Ability to work some evenings and occasional weekends
SALARY/BENEFITS: The salary range for this position is $120,000-130,000 (non-exempt). Current benefits package includes unlimited PTO, subsidized health insurance, and dental and vision coverage for the individual (available for family members through employee contributions). Parental leave policy allows for 12 weeks of paid leave.
TO APPLY: If you’ve read this far, please know we are looking for the ideal candidate—someone interested passionately in this work. Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the criteria. JWFNY encourages you to break that statistic and apply.
Please submit a meaningful cover letter and resume to [email protected] with your name and “Director of Strategic Initiatives” in the subject line. No phone calls or emails please. Candidates will be contacted if there is an opportunity to be interviewed.
JWFNY provides equal opportunity to all people regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, body configuration, age, disability, marital status, height, weight, or political belief. This policy applies to all employees and applicants for employment. Finalists must complete a background check.